Friday, August 13, 2010

Holy Freakin' Crap!

Ok, I will admit in real life to being nothing even close to being a feminist. The original argument of equal work equal pay thing obviously worked out in our favor but since then it's taken a whole different turn. The feminists-turned-feminazis have forever altered our behavior toward each other. Now I can go into a whole deal about free love and how it wrecked everything but I'm not. The Pill gave us choices our grandmothers didn't have. That being said, doesn't mean basic rules aren't important.
This article literally made my jaw drop. There goes tradition.
There are those women who walk around all disjointed and pissed off if a man opens a door for them or pulls out their chair. Come on, ladies! That fight isn't part of our generation! Let..it...go! I like it when a man holds a door for me, or pulls out my chair. To me, that is respect. It's not saying that he thinks I can't do it myself. Unless I have no arms or legs, of course I can.
I also expect a man to pay on the first date and at least the first few until I can figure out what it is he's there for. This is a disqualifier in my book. I still have my own money just in case it comes to that, but still. We women complain a lot (I'm probably the loudest) about men not showing courtesy or respect toward us. Why do we never think that our battle for equality might have had something to do with it? Girls of my generation (let's hear it for Gen X!) heard ad nauseum that we can act just like men from every women's magazine out there. Yeah, I'm talking about you, Cosmo! The only problem is, no matter how much we accomplish in the workplace or on our own, society as a whole will always have a double standard. I don't see that changing.
If we lack rules on expected behavior toward each other, we are going to wind up with a mess. Ergo, dating as it is now, and this article I linked to. We need to keep our standards because a lot of men are going to use our so-called freedom against us. This is already happening. Read that article.
My suggestion? Are we acting like we are worth the trouble or a dime a dozen? Think about it.
***UPDATE 8/14***  Ooooohhhhh... looks like I'm not the only wondering at feminism going crazy! My Vindication?