Thursday, August 12, 2010

Yep, that's a bummer

Grrrr... I hate break ups. That icky feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, the feeling of loss of self confidence. I think thats what I hate most.
I was dumped on Tuesday evening, the day before my birthday. By text message. Coincidently, one text message after he told me Happy Birthday. So needless to say, my birthday was not so fab. My friends did their best with their well wishes, flowers, and balloons (which I really do appreciate by the way), but I was still sad on the inside.
I hate that this one thing managed to ruin what was essentially a really nice day. So I decided to do something completely selfish and just for me. I went and got two tattoos on my feet last night after work. They symbolize two out of the four countries I've been to so far. I wanted to remind myself that traveling is my time that no one can take away from me. Those experiences belong to my memory only. This morning when I woke up, I felt soooo much better.
So what do you all do when you get dumped? Anyone have any break up rituals to pass along? Let's share people!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your bummer of a day. I do believe in setting aside time to grieve, be angry, do whatever. It's just really a bummer that it coincided with your birthday. My break up ritual (as recent as one month ago in 2 days) was to stay home from work one night ( yeap I actually called in sick which I hardly EVER do) and drink a shit load of wine. I cried and just drank. Then, the following weekend, I did what I believe most men would: I had sex with someone that means absolutely nothing to me. Just for the hell of it. And it felt great! I had a good time, didn't care if I ever heard back from the dude (which I did LOL) and that was that.
All the above practices may seem pathetic. But I am 38, and quite frankly, at this point of my life... I don't give a damn!

Red said...

Here's my break up ritual. You will need the following:
1) recipe for spinach artichoke dip
2) one bag of tortilla chips
3) one bottle of red wine (or whatever you like to drink- mango margaritas etc. Just make sure you have copious amounts of alcohol)

Consume. Serves 1. Repeat as needed or until you no longer fit into your pants.

weezermonkey said...

I wish I had advice.

I'm such a bitch that I've never been the dumpee. I've always been the dumper. Scary, huh?