Friday, October 15, 2010

And yet, its not any different

This is going to be a rant, folks, so be prepared.
So looks like my excitement over MM was short lived. Yep, just like most single men, their attention span and interest is as fleeting as little kid with ADHD. Communication went from every day phone calls and texts to zip, nada, poof. This was as of Tuesday night. What the hell makes them do this, I wonder? Tuesday's text messages were very flirtatious, asking me for pictures (and not even dirty ones), saying he wanted to see me again. It's now Friday and I've heard from him once, which was yesterday. "Busy week", he says. Hmm... guess he wasn't wise that we ladies now know that busy = just not that into you. Detroit, same thing. Except after our date and the requisite text from him of "hey I want to see you again", nothing else.
What makes men do this? Do they think we're stupid? How frigging hard is it to tell someone that you just don't think it's going to work out? Seriously. The wasted time wondering is waaaaay worse than knowing its just not going to happen. And for me, it's pretty bad. There are so few men I actually like that it's a little excruciating when this happens.
I will admit to feeling insecure about it. I will admit to delving a little bit into a pity party (the standard "I'm never going to find anyone", "what's wrong with me", "I hate them all" fare). What I hate is admitting to myself that I'm that much of a sucker. Seriously.. if I hear from one more person any one of these phrases:
1. "Don't worry about finding someone. You don't need a man! You can have a full life without one!"
2. "Someone will drop in your lap when you least expect it. A watched pot never boils!"
3. "Lower your standards. You're too picky. Just pick someone and settle down."

Obviously these mostly come from Smug Marrieds, Ladies Who Have Given Up (see #1) and my grandmother. I'm seriously considering moving. Dating in SoCal is tiring, full of fakers, and never really amounts to anything. And I'm sure someone here is going to point out that my trust issues are a self-fulfilling prophecy. My response to that is: stuff it.
So, I think I'm nearly over the internet dating thing for now. I've been on Match since August and I've gone on a total of 6 dates, two of them with the same guy. Maybe I should just admit to myself that I'm just not good at this. I'm naturally kind of a type-A person so this really bums me out. My experiment of asking around isn't panning out. Neither is the gym. Or the grocery store. Or the beach. Or the sports bar I frequent to watch football on Sundays. You'd think that one is a given, but I assure you, it is not.

1 comment:

weezermonkey said...

Booooooooooooo to MM.

I definitely don't agree with #3. Standards are necessary.

I'm pretty sure I've told you some form of #1 and #2 before, though, so apologies for that. :(