Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Interesting theory

So today my work friend ML and I are talking and he puts things in perfect perspective for me. I've long maintained there are few men out there who would really be in my dating pool. ML took this and ran with it. He said if I looked at it like a bell curve, and I'm on the tail end. Based on my personality (strong, type-A, alpha) and everything else about me, I'm not going to fall into the big middle. The big middle has a lot more choices. Where people aren't really picky, not really opinionated, etc. Dating and finding relationships will probably be a lot easier for them based on availability of "resources". The tail end that I'm in, however, I'm going to have to put up with a lot of chaff.
Obviously I want to meet someone with whom I can actually be myself with. Being myself tends to scare or intimidate people, though, unless they are equally as alpha as I am. ML also said something that made me feel better. A few posts ago I ranted about how people say things to singles like, "You'll find it when you stop looking!", "You don't need a man to be happy, you can do everything on your own!" and my favorite, "You're too picky! Just settle!" ML thinks dating and relationships are like a lottery. Yes you can put your $5 in every week religiously, but that doesn't guarantee you a shot. Neither does not putting in your money. We have no control over it. Kind of like heated up atoms, speeding all over the place, we have no control over which ones will bump into each other. Some may glance off the other, possibly affecting it, while others hit the nucleus perfectly to create a reaction.
While on one hand this makes me feel better because it kind of nudges me to give it up to my higher power, on the other its sort of sad. Like what if I do end up cruising through life by myself? That kind of sucks, actually. It's not like I wouldn't have lovers over the years, but that's not the point. A lover doesn't have that emotional intimacy with you.
My immediately plan is to only count on having that one date. Since I never get past the first date anyway, this seems wise. It keeps my expectations in check and if something happens afterward, then its a happy surprise. I'm also going to throw myself into planning my vacation to Greece, which makes me feel happy and excited. Finally, I will be going somewhere I've wanted to since I was about 7 years old.
Today I will continue to think about the things that make me happy.   =)

1 comment:

weezermonkey said...

I think this is a great theory, and it's something that most intelligent, strong, and attractive women face.

I mean, you won the lottery in terms of who you are! You are smart AND hot!

This just makes it all the tougher to find someone worthy!